Saturday, August 25, 2007

Darden Essays

Darden Essays are out. I was surprised to see the change in pattern. There is hardly any space to express yourself- there are three questions and a total of just 1100 (500+300+300) words!!

Moreover the questions are unconventional. The first question is open ended and the other two want you to talk about your professional side but in a unique way. I found the topics completely one dimensional.

My concern is that what insight will the admissions committee get about an applicant in such few words and the limited scope which the applicant has to express himself? I know it is a good trait to express your thoughts in a few words- but this is TOO much.

I am really confused what the ad comm is trying to prove here?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darden essays are moving out of the "standard" set of essays, i think the adcom and Sara Neher have thought through the matter. My personal take on this- In most essays, i have had to repeat myself, and chew words if the limit exceeded 500 words. i believe that 300 words is enough to place an impactful personality on a piece of paper!

Anonymous said...

These essays are like deciding the cricket test team based on twenty20 performance!!!

Darden is off my list, I cant be sure of the people quality around me (how the f*#^ do they decide with these essays? unless it is GPA/GMAT/resume...)- thankful to their adcom in helping me with shortlisting my target schools further :-)

Anonymous said...

havent even thought about this (consultant or not) part yet - plan to do some serious thinking / starting this weekend, on many related stuff; hardly a month left!
what r u doing? do you know any, apart frm sandy?