Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chicago ppt advice for R2 Applicants

Chicago for me was submitted on 17th, on time. My boss submitted his rec as usual at the nth hour. But I am getting used to it by now and kind of getting comfortable with it. I know he will submit his rec for sure, but just hours before the deadline!!

As far as the ppt is concerned my advice to all R2 applicants is to convert it to a pdf and then upload. I was lucky that just hours before submission I came to know the inconsistencies with MS PPT. There is an incompatibility between different versions of ppt (MS-2007 and MS-2003). Moreover, if a ppt is made on a certain resolution on one system, it may not look the same on the other.

I had designed my slides in MS ppt 2007 and viewed them on a friends system which had MS ppt 2003 and the presentation looked perfect. I then sent it to two other friends who also had the 2003 version and what they saw was scary! A couple of hours before submission you come to know that parts of your presentation are not visible clearly and there is a lot of overlap between icons....#$%$%%#%. I did some research and found out that this is a common problem with Power Point.

So I just converted my ppt to pdf and uploaded. There is hardly anything else you can do because on some machines your presentation will come up perfectly while on others it won't. There was also a very slight deviation in the quality on conversion. I was prepared for the trade off as the last thing I wanted was my ppt not showing up correctly on the ad comm's machines.

My apologies to the R1 applicants for not posting this earlier but all this happened 3 hours before submission and I was worried about turning in my app on time.

1 comment:

Amar Deshpande said...

Maybe a belated reply to your suggestion, but I think using earlier versions of MS Office should solve this issue. Anyways,the good part @ converting to PDF, you can reduce the file size considerably, i.e. less time to upload when you are submitting your appl. an hour before the deadline!!!