Monday, October 22, 2007

Doubt: Interpretation of Darden's "Professionaly" ?

As I am deep into my Darden essays, confusion is creeping in my mind. In essays 2) and 3) Darden wants to know that "Professionally" whether you have been and innovator, leader, entrepreneur, socially responsible, committed to diversity or globally involved. Now what is the scope of the word professionally???

Do I need to talk about instances only from my current full time job? Or I can also cite examples from my involvement in extra curricular activities beyond work where I have held professional (though unpaid) responsibilities?

I have a decent portfolio of achievements in my social life and I would love to highlight them in my 2nd or 3rd essay, but am not sure whether doing so would be a good idea.

Would love to know what stand other Darden Applicants are taking? Infact any clue from any of the applicant bloggers would be helpful here

5 comments:

Achilles said...

Yeah they have to be from the work place man, since they have written professionally.
Or in one off case you can take an instance from some organization or work you are doing in parralel to your actual work ex. But then this work should be substantial and you shpuld be involved in this work, somehwhat on a regular basis. so if you were assosciated with some NGO i think it should workout fine. Also at workplace also you may be involved in something interesting rather than just work

Achilles said...

Yeah i also think why darden is necessary but explaning why darden will tself take atleast 100 words, so it will be diffcicult to put rest of the stuff in left over space. let me know your thoughts on this.

Anonymous said...

I'm just putting one 125 word example from a professional setting, & another 50 word one to show its also a personal value - i dont care if they've mentioned "professionally" - i cant draw the line where i start being 'professional' ;-)

Anonymous said...

yup, both essays - as of now its abt 120-170 words + 50-85 words, ut then my total word count is ~435 words in both, which I'll get down soon

my perspective is that there's a very fine line betwn professional and personal, i'm the same person betwn 9am to 6pm as I am betwn 5pm to 9am - so where does professional end? i dont think there's anything wrong in this, only it needs to gel well with the overall story, dont put in a personal example just for the sake of it. only if its adding to your story ; in my case it is ( i think so, heheh, time will tell tho' )

restoreTemple said...

well, different essays, but the essence is brevity. explain what you have to, and leave some space for tying the points up. easier said than done, i continue to struggle :)!! as far as professional is concerned, i think if you hold office for an NGO, or represent some NGO, then it would make more sense to apply such ideas into essays. else my money would be on the work place.