Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Interesting outcome of conversation- Why so much fuss about GOALS??

Day before yesterday I was having a talk with a HBS alumni. He also happened to be in the ad comm during his school days.

He told me something which is REALLY interesting and contrary to popular belief. I was telling him that I really don't know what my long term career goal is and am worried that how will I handle it in my essays. I was worried primarily because my research from various sources always pointed me to- Dude, you need to have your goals absolutely clear! Ad comms are looking for candidates who demonstrate utmost clarity about their future.

He told me that it is ABSOLUTELY normal if you don't know for sure what do you want to do in the long run. Even if you have some clue but do not know the HOW, its fine. It is okay to mention this in your essays as well.

In fact this had to be true. I don't know why everyone focuses on the GOALS so much. I agree that you need to have a rough picture about where you want to land after an MBA, but being crystal clear is not every ones cup of cake. It is a fact that a majority of B School students do not know initially what they want to do . But still everyone creates a fuss about goals.

After all most of us want to do an MBA to switch careers and to find out our calling. B Schools are supposed to clear the dust and make you think hard as to where do you truly belong .

1 comment:

Shobhit said...

That was some enlightening stuff :-)
I too am in process of research and introspection and still I'm not at all clear abt my "GOALS"

~Shobhit
http://missionmba.wordpress.com/

PS: Can u plzz enable anonymous comments on the blog too?? Not that I wan to post anonymously.. It'll help those (like me) who dont have a blogger acct.. (Blogger doesnt give an option to give URL in case of non-anonymous non-blogger avvts)
I agree that spam can be irritating, still just in case u want to help ur wordpress brethren..